When it comes to looking after our health, it is fair to say that the majority of people around the country know what kinds of things doctors are used to handling on a daily basis. There are so many different reality shows and scripted dramas set in the health world today that some might even think they could have a go at diagnosing and treating themselves in an alternative world! An area of health and hygiene that perhaps isn’t so understood and highlighted, however, is the work that a dental hygienist does every day. A dental hygienist is a licensed dental professional, usually employed by a dental clinic, supporting other dentists rather than working in their own practice. We have all been to see one, we have all had our teeth taken care of over the course of our lives, but many may not know what exactly makes up the regular routine of a dental hygienist in Burbank.
• An effective and professional dental hygienist has the ability to provide dental health education to a patient about their tooth care routines and their overall diet. Diet can have a much bigger impact on your all around oral health than you might think. It’s about much more than just avoiding sugar.
• When it comes to carrying out procedures, a dental hygienist is certified to perform treatments including removing plaque from teeth. This is done via a scaling and polishing process that is relatively non-invasive and quick to complete.
• A dental hygienist can also assist by helping to take impressions for denture casts, and/or taking dental radiographs of teeth for future treatment planning and diagnosis.
• Instead of performing tasks like fillings and implants, a dental hygienist is the ideal candidate to help treat and prevent things like gum disease. This is usually done via a better education on dental care.
• It is also an important part of a dental hygienist’s job to stay up to date with all of the latest developments and advancements in the world of dentistry, as well as helping to maintain all of the patient records as well.
Overall, along with all of the obvious qualifications, in order to be a good dental hygienist it is generally expected that a person be friendly and approachable. When you have a position in which you are going to be giving out a lot of potentially sensitive advice to patients, you need to be able to carry yourself in such a way that your words sound supportive rather than patronizing or admonishing. Many people admit to taking better care of their teeth when they have a good relationship with their dental hygienist.
So, now that you have a better understanding of what a dental hygienist in Burbank actually does, the only thing left for you to do is decide whether it might be time to visit one for yourself. Any establishment with a stellar reputation like, for example, ours, would be ideal for a casual appointment.